Thursday, April 26, 2007

Wow - Finals Week

The semester is officially over. Tomorrow we have the first day of finals, and in two weeks, I will fly to Germany. Wow! I cannot believe how fast this semester has flown by. I have my tickets and all, but whenever I realize how soon I will at the airport...

And then... I needed a new knitting project, of course. So I decided to cast my lot with the Peacock Feathers Shawl from fiddlesticks knitting. It was a long process getting there, because at first I was trying to do something else after Isabella.

I had bought the softest lambswool lace yarn at Angel Hair Yarn Co. in Nashville and made three or four attempts at knitting something from my Victorian Lace book. Unfortunately, so close to the end of the semester, my concentration was not on the knitting. So, after unraveling so many times, which did not do the precious yarn good either, I decided to stop. Then I ordered the perfect yarn for the peacock from Handpainted Yarn, where else, and when it finally arrived (and they are really fast), I had to start the shawl immediately. When I chose the color, I put a picture of a peacock on my computer's desktop background and kept looking at it while I browsed the online yarns shop. And I believe I found the perfect yarn.



The difference to the Victorian lace projects is that you do not do the YOs every row. Therefore each wrong side is a relaxing, mindless purl before you have to engage the brain again for an agonizing row of counting. But it is so worth it. The shawl is simply gorgeous. I am now on row 107, as they get longer and longer and still have not managed to go on pattern autopilot. But that is ok. I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Oh, and when I get to Germany, my mother has all her old knitting magazines from 30 or more years ago waiting for me. Yay to mothers who throw nothing away.

No comments:

Academics Knit Ring:


Academics Knit
Join | List | Previous | Next
Powered by RingSurf